Places of interest and excursions
Franz Marc Museum in Kochel
The Franz Marc Museum in Kochel am See shows masterpieces by Franz Marc in combination with artworks by his contemporaries and other important artists of the 20th century in a permanent exhibition and temporary exhibitions.
The exhibition in the Franz Marc Museum is regularly updated. Temporary exhibitions show the various aspects of the collection's holdings. This makes it possible to present the entire range of Franz Marc's theoretical and artistic work, as well as his personality and visionary spirit of reform.
Open-air museum Glentleiten in Großweil
The open-air museum is located above Großweil in the foothills of the Bavarian Alps between Murnau and Lake Kochel. It shows the rural life, living and economy of past centuries. On display are listed houses and barns, alpine pastures as well as mills and handicraft enterprises.
The Bavarian Zugspitzbahn is one of four cogwheel railroads still in operation in Germany, along with the Wendelsteinbahn, the Drachenfelsbahn and the Zahnradbahn Stuttgart.
The meter-gauge line runs from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain.
It is operated by Bayerische Zugspitzbahn Bergbahn AG (BZB), which is majority-owned by the Garmisch-Partenkirchen municipal utility.
In 2007, the Zugspitzbahn was nominated for the award of Historic Landmark of Engineering Architecture in Germany.
Ettal Monastery is a Benedictine abbey in the Upper Bavarian village of Ettal. Founded in 1330, the Benedictine monastery is now a popular tourist attraction. The monastery includes farms, several inns as well as a high school with an attached boarding school, an art publishing house, a distillery and a brewery.
Royal Palace Linderhof
The 'Royal Villa' Linderhof Castle in the Graswang Valley near Oberammergau was built in several stages from 1869 to 1886 under the Bavarian King Ludwig II and counted as his favorite castle. It is the only one that was completed during his lifetime.
Hörnlebahn Bad Kohlgrub
The double chairlift takes you in about 15 minutes to the Hörnlehütte at an altitude of 1,390 meters. From here you can hike to the Hintere Hörnle (1548 m) on an easy mountain trail, to the Mittlere Hörnle (1496 m) on an easy, partly steep, mountain trail and to the Vordere Hörnle (1490 m) on an easy, partly steep, mountain trail.
Kolben chair lift in Oberammergau
The Kolbensesselbahn leads from the valley station in Oberammergau to the mountain station at the Kolbensattel (1250 m above sea level). It is operated as a double chairlift. In summer, it is an ideal starting point for hikes, comfortable high-altitude trails to the Pürschlinghäuser and the Kofel.
Wies Church in Steingaden
The "Pilgrimage Church of the Flagellated Savior on the Wies" is a remarkably splendid rococo-style church that was declared a World Heritage Site in 1983. It is dedicated to the Flagellated Savior, a statue made in 1730 by Magnus Straub and Lukas Schweiger in the monastery of Steingaden. The pilgrimage to the Wies took its origin on June 14, 1738, when the farmer's wife Maria Lory saw some drops in the eyes of a figure of the 'Flagellated Savior' given to her, which she mistook for tears.
The Karwendelbahn is a cable car that runs from Mittenwald (933 m) to the Karwendelgrube (2,244 m) on the western Karwendel peak. The cable car has two gondolas and is supported by 2 supports of 36 and 20 meters high, respectively, located at Mittenwalder Hütte and Wanne. The mountain station is the starting point for tours via the Mittenwald via ferrata and through the Dammkar.
Royal Castle Hohenschwangau
Hohenschwangau Castle is located directly opposite Neuschwanstein Castle. The castle was first mentioned in the 12th century as Burg Schwanstein. In the following centuries, the owners changed frequently. In 1832, King Maximilian II acquired the ruins. The castle served as a summer residence for the royal family and was the nursery of Ludwig II.
The Herzogstandbahn was put into operation in 1994 and is a 1,388 meter long cable car on the mountain Herzogstand in the Bavarian Prealps.
It runs in 2 cabins from Walchensee (800 meters above sea level) to Fahrenberg (1600 meters above sea level). It uses a carrying rope of 42 mm, a hauling rope of 20 mm and a counter rope of 21 mm diameter. It is driven by a 185 kilowatt motor in the bottom station. The lift has 2 supports, which are 28 and 24 meters high. The ride time is four minutes at a top speed of 8 m/s.
Rottenbuch Monastery Church
Rottenbuch Monastery is a former monastery of the Augustinian Canons Regular and current monastery of the Don Bosco Sisters in Rottenbuch in Bavaria in the diocese of Freising.
It is located not far from the Wieskirche church above the Ammer valley. The Romanesque basilica, which dates from the 11th century, was extended in the Gothic style and decorated in the rococo style in the mid-18th century by the Wessobrunn stucco artist Joseph Schmuzer.
Monastery church in Schlehdorf
The Schlehdorf monastery is located on Lake Kochel east of Uffing and is run by about 60 Missionary Dominican Sisters. On the monastery grounds, in addition to a guest house and a monastery store, there is also a girls' secondary school of the Diocese of Munich and Freising, to which the monastery belongs as an exclave. The parish church belonging to the monastery has the only surviving organ by the organ builder Franz Thoma from Aitrang/Allgäu, which was inaugurated in 1783.
Benediktbeuern Monastery is a former Benedictine abbey and now a branch of the Salesians of Don Bosco in Benediktbeuern, Bavaria, in the diocese of Augsburg, not far from Lake Kochel.
Since 1930, the Salesians of Don Bosco have been using the buildings again as a branch of a religious community. Today, around 50 Salesians of Don Bosco live and work there.
Royal Castle Neuschwanstein
Neuschwanstein Castle stands above Hohenschwangau near Füssen in the Allgäu region of Germany.
Neuschwanstein is the most famous of Ludwig II's castles and one of the most famous sights in Germany, visited by well over a million tourists each year.